History of Farm
The landscape of Coopers Farm shows that a number of original hedge lines and shaws which appear to have been grubbed up over the decades. Michael has been very committed to the long term protection and management of the farm as integral asset to the High Weald AONB. With this in mind Michael visited the Sussex Records Office in Lewes to conduct research into original field boundaries and names based on the 1841 tithe Map and schedule which demonstrates that Coopers Farm was originally 7 paddocks.
The original owner was a Mr Benjamin Hall of Curtains Hill (1248) but rented it to Mr William Howard who occupied the site with a historical farmstead.
Beyond Organic Farming
Our aim is to produce the best-tasting, healthiest and most environmentally friendly food. Everything we do stems from this.
To achieve this we are creating the most ideal, naturally healthy, environment that we possibly can. This will enable our fruit, vegetables and animals to thrive.
We consider that Coopers Farm is a working farm that demonstrates best practice for others to learn from. The goal of the project is to deliver the highest quality biodiversity baseline, in line with the management of traditional beef animals and with the minimum use of external materials. Thus minimizing and ultimately eliminating our carbon footprint. We recognize that this is a demanding goal, and a no compromise approach, but it is one that we believe will achieve our overall aim.